Success -- and questions (Was Re: What's the deal...bootstrap)

Subject: Success -- and questions (Was Re: What's the deal...bootstrap)
From: Marc Stergionis (stermarc@home.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 11:53:47 MST

The 20011105 .iso worked like a charm on my G4, which now recognizes YDL in
an Open Firmware boot! And works fine in all other respects. Thanks all!

Taking into account some info from Tim Seufert, I dropped to one swap
partition (machine has 768 megs real ram) and did some (scary!) contortions
with my HD volumes to trim down to 15 partitions. I *really* did not want to
reformat!

2 questions:

1. On install, I configured for 1152x768 display and the black frame of the
display is slightly smaller than the dark black edges of the monitor, which
is fine. However, my whole YDL screen is not visible! I have to move the
cursor past the edge on the right to see the time and windows are cut off at
the right and bottom. I could not find how to change my resolution (looked in
XF86. conf, and so on. How do I see the whole screen without moving cursor
past the edge?

2. Kmail is set up and works great. I could not find a preference to check
mail on a schedule, even after checking the help pages.

<aside>YDL 2.1 would *not* install on my Power 100 (8100 clone). I know it's
not "supported," but can run YDL and others with the special kernel at
nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net

YDL 2.1 quits with a "could not find "trojka" or something like that, then
goes to a weird white text on blue error screen with the messages
*stairstepping* top left to bottom right down the screen! However, YDL2.0
installs fine and works. Guess I could try to yup to 2.1 (if necessary/feel
like it) and mention it on the nubus-linuxppc list. </aside>

Thanks

-ms

Sometime around Wednesday 07 November 2001 08:24, Marc Stergionis pounded out
this ditty:

--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis -- Community relations & website author