Re: MacOS X 10.1

Subject: Re: MacOS X 10.1
From: Donn Tarris (donntarris@telus.net)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 12:37:13 MST

On Friday, November 9, 2001, at 07:44 AM, Adam Scarcella wrote:

> In any event, thank you all for your open responses. This type of
> comradery and sense of community is the glue that COULD make Linux the
> best OS on the planet (regardless of the application). If Linux is
> going to take over the desktop PC, (which is the only way it could ever
> really gain any ground in the real world, i.e. Market Share) it's going
> to have to be much easier to use right out of the box, period...

This is a point that I brought up in earlier posts. If linux can truly
be put together to load onto a user's machine effortlessly, i.e. the
installer looks at the machine from the inside and loads everything as
it should for that box, and then puts all the applications on that the
user needs to have to get their work done as a workstation, not a
server, then I think linux could win a huge portion of the windoze world.
Still maintaining the ability to get "under the hood" would mean that
the real linux/unix techfolks wouldn't have to slow their machines down
with eyecandy and helper apps - Best of Both Worlds, which is where
Apple is headed with the OS X line. Linux, by virtue of how many boxes
it can live on (Motorola AND Intel), could easily become the standard OS
if it was easy to install and run.
Having YDL as a Mac only OS install is good for us on Macs, but just
imagine what it would be if it tackled all platforms at the same time.
Unfortunately, money is the glue that ties Windoze and Apple together,
and linux just doesn't have that kind of cash in it to have this market
penetration happen for it. Perhaps one day...

Free is good, but it has to work for it to be a good deal.

Cheers,
Donn