Re: Some very weird stuff

Subject: Re: Some very weird stuff
From: philippe tapon (ptapon@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 00:59:33 MDT

Dr S Douglass wrote:

> Ok. Got the boot right into X window. (KDE)
>
> Time on the mac side was screwy as well, as you can see if you look at my
> first email. I zapped the PRAM on my system. Had to reconfig the firmware
> for yaboot. I have sound. But now, the video problem is even worse. (Yes..
> Worse.) When I boot into Xwindows now, it is in black and white. And
> everything looks horribly grainy and now it is even slower. Also, sound is
> not in sync. When I close a window, the sound will play a few seconds later.
> So far, inspite of all this trouble, I think I really like Linux. Still no
> word on how to get my DSL connected with linux, and no matter what I do, it
> will not, and can not see that I have a modem. (Dial up 56k modem that is) i
> would rather have the DSL up and running some how. I am hesitant to contact
> bellsouth and they seem to be a bunch of idiots at tech support, at least
> with Macs. I shudder to think what they might say or do about linux.
>
> Any more advice? Or other tips and pointers that I should know about before
> they happen?
>
> <dr_s_douglass@mac.com>

it does seem that you're having really bad luck. (You need more than a
metaphorical rebuilding of the desktop it seems to me.) May I ask what
version of the software you're using? (if you have KDE up, in the main
menu:gnome:utilities:system info, will be a window with all the stats.)

peace

philippe

--

PS. er, one more (modest) tip. if you haven't already, shut down the X Window server and run, as root, Xconfigurator (typed as so: lowercase c)--that *may* solve your awful X Window problems. I also get sound from windows opening and closing, but they're awful--staticky ghkksstt kinda stuff. Not worth it. The modem problem--eep, I don't know about that one.

# # # #