Re: Kernel panic help - desperate!!

Subject: Re: Kernel panic help - desperate!!
From: Neill Miller (stuff@thecodefactory.org)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 11:56:36 MDT

On Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:17:31 +0200
Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> My Powerbook G3 running Linux v2.4.7 is very unreliable - I get kernel
> panics some three to four times per day, and it's driving me up the
> wall. Obviously there are a numnber of possible causes for this, both
> hardware and software, however my problem relates to getting a useful
> stack trace out of the kernel.

Which 2.4.7 kernel are you running? Have you tried the "benh" tree or the penguinppc trees at http://www.penguinppc.org/dev/kernel.shtml ? Which powerbook do you have? I have a Powerbook 2000 G3 FireWire (aka Pismo) and either of the above mentioned trees tend to build and run well. And xmon is only supported if you build it into the kernel. It's on by default in the above mentioned kernels, and when I do something terrible, I get dropped to the xmon prompt as expected.

-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm