YDL2.0 Boot Help/Mac Mysteries

Subject: YDL2.0 Boot Help/Mac Mysteries
From: Christopher Campbell (seacamel@my-net.co.jp)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 23:38:30 MDT

Please post it, I would like to know about this procedure.

Maybe you can help me if you have a moment. I installed YD 2.0 onto an
external SCSI drive attached to my Mac G3 (bronze key). Installation was
successful for the most part, but soon after I had some problems.
Here is some background.

I chose the TEXT screen for start up. I made the nessesary partitions on the
EX drive. Everything installed OK. I restarted and the screen turned black
and I was prompted to choose "M" for Mac or "l" for Linux. OK so far. I
fuddled around with nothing in particular looking for internet
configurations. I did not know the command to bring me back to the boot
screen where I can choose the OS, so I shut down. When I started up, same
thing, no problem. Except when I wanted to use Mac OS I got the icon with
the "?" for a second before it switched to a happy mac. What happenned then
I don't know. The Mac OS started and got to the point where I could see the
menu bar and the background pattern, but then hung and would not go any
further. I re-started and same thing, I cleared my PRAM, same thing. I was
able to start up from the CD but many things like control panels, stickies,
and some system software were damaged and showed an error message I have
never even seen before. Sorry I know this is long. Eventually I had to
reformat my hard drive. Since then I haven't plugged the EX drive in because
I don't know what will happen.

Some questions:

Can I use internet on a external drive connected to my Mac?
Why couldn't I see the drive on my desktop?
Does making configurations to the YDL system on the external drive affect my
Mac OS?

Anyways, If you could shed some light I would be thankful.

Best regards,

Christopher Campbell