Re: stupid emacs question

Subject: Re: stupid emacs question
From: Andrew Leahy (aleahy@knox.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 12:51:07 MDT

Paul Cézanne wrote:

> > > I have a stock YDL 2.0 installation, running GNOME, and when I type "emacs" in a terminal window I get a terminal based emacs window. It is as if I used the "-nw" option.
> >>
> >> What am I missing?
> >
> >you could always try typing xemacs ;)
>
> That is evidentially what I am missing, thanks. (Can you tell that the last time I ran emacs the president was named Reagan?)

I don't think you need to do that. You probably just don't have the X
version of emacs installed. Try 'rpm -qa | grep emacs' and look for
'emacs-X11'. If it's not there, go to the Yellowdog/RPMS directory on your
Yellowdog CD and install it with 'rpm -Uvh emacs-X11-20.7-17b.ppc.rpm'.

Andrew Leahy
aleahy@knox.edu