Re: Routing Question

Subject: Re: Routing Question
From: Bryn Hughes (linux@demian.shacknet.nu)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 11:56:36 MDT

Thanks!

Most of the reason ADSL speeds are better here is actually because of more
restrictive federal regulations with regards to telephone switch office
redundancy and capacity, etc. In the US the telcos can get away with fewer
CO's and less redundancy. Since there are more COs per any given area here,
everyone is typically closer to a CO than in the average US city. Since
ADSL speeds are totally dependent on your distance from the CO, the more COs
there are the better your chances of being close to one. The lowest speed
I've heard of anyone getting with ADSL here is about 1.2 - 1.5 Mbps
downstream and 320 - 400 kbps upstream. Might be different over on the
other side, but that's typical in B.C. anyhow.

We're actually not allowed servers on 'home use' cable here either, you can
go up to a $150/mo 'business' connection which allows servers and comes
bundled with cable TV as a 'bonus'). Same goes for ADSL. If you go up to a
$75/mo 'business' connection you're allowed servers. (Makes ADSL more
attractive for business users here, especially when you factor in the higher
upstream speeds). I've actually talked with the systems support people
though about my stuff and basically their policy is to let it be unless it's
causing a problem. They don't have any problem with small, not-for-profit
things (my mail system is only handling about 15 accounts used by 5 people,
my web server gets on average 30 or 40 hits a day), it's when people start
setting up 1000 concurrent connection public access FTP servers or set
Napster or the like to allow 30 simultaneous connections that it starts
affecting other users and they shut it down.

Again, that's just the policy of my provider. And it's not anything they
really make public because there's far too many people out there who can
figure out how to install a server but don't know what they're doing with
it.

Bryn