running nmap

Subject: running nmap
From: Jennifer Ulrich (jenn@newsouth.net)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 12:59:29 MDT

I'm having some difficulties getting nmap to run on my YDL1.2 machine. It
compiled without errors, but when I try to run the program, I get this
error :

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor@insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
WARNING! The following files exist and are
readable: /usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services and ./nmap-services. I am
choosing /usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services for security reasons. set
NMAPDIR=. to give priority to files in your local directory
pcap_open_live: socket: Socket type not supported
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating
system:
LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe
af_packet or recompile your kernel with SOCK_PACKET enabled.
*BSD: If you are getting device not configured, you need to recompile
your kernel with Berkeley Packet Filter support. If you are getting No
such file or directory, try creating the device (eg cd /dev; MAKEDEV
<device>; or use mknod).
SOLARIS: If you are trying to scan localhost and getting '/dev/lo0: No
such file or directory', complain to Sun. I don't think Solaris can
support advanced localhost scans. You can probably use "-P0 -sT
localhost" though.

Okay, so assuming that this is a weird yellow dog linuxy thing, I tried to
run modprobe af_packet. I got this error:

modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.2.15-2.9.0/modules.dep (No such file or directory)

So I poke a litte into /lib/modules/ and find a directory called
2.2.17-0.6.1. But as I look around this directory, I cannot seem to locate
any file named modules.dep.

Has anyone had a similar experience getting nmap to run?
I would appreciate any help that you all might have to offer. Thanks!!

~jenn