Re: Installation problem

Subject: Re: Installation problem
pjkim@excite.com
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 20:00:12 MDT

I was able to get YDL 1.2 running on a Power Mac G4 MP 450mhz but it sure
wasn't a pretty process. I ran into many of the problems described before,
i.e. lost interupt errors on the hard drive devices and fstab not being
created on the drive. It seems that the new G4s and the new iMacs have many
of the same installation problems. I was able to do it without the aid of a
second computer.

1. You need to use yaboot.
2. You need to use a kernel that is newer than the one on the YDL 1.2 CD.
3. You can't boot off the CD.

Follow the instructions in the installation manual except use the newer
kernel from BenH's site. I am using vmlinux2.2.17pre20-ben1 renamed as just
vmlinux on the fifth parition of my hda drive (yaboot doesn't seem to work
for hdb). You might as well put a copy of the rescue.image.gz file from the
rescue/tasty morsels CD in the same place as your vmlinux file right now
because you WILL need it later. You also need to copy the rescue.image.gz
and yaboot.tbxi files. My yaboot.conf file is as follows:

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
options.\n\n"
timeout = 150
default = linux

image = hd:5,\vmlinux
    label = rescue
    initrd = hd:5,\rescue.image.gz
                                initrd-size=8192

image = hd:5,\vmlinux
    label = install
    initrd = hd:5,\ramdisk.image.gz

image = hd:5,\vmlinux
    label = linux
    root = /dev/hda6
                                append="video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:24"

Once in the OF boot (hit option-command-O-F on boot) and then enter
boot hd:5,yaboot.tbxi. Once the prompt appears, type install and then return
(to boot linux later, type linux. To boot rescue later, type rescue). The
installer should then start correctly. Follow the directions for installing
YDL as per the install manual.

When you are done installing, reboot the computer into OF again. If you try
to start YDL now, you will be rudely awakened to the fact that the installer
neglected to create an /etc/fstab file for you (Microsoft conspiracy?).

Reboot into OF and this time boot the rescue mode. Mount the partition that
you installed somewhere. You can try

mkdir /mnt/temp
mount /dev/hda6 (pick the correct partition) /mnt/temp

then you will have to make your own fstab. Here is a copy of mine that you
will have to modify to work for you. I used a text editor to enter this. You
will have to name this file /mnt/temp/etc/fstab

#
# /etc/fstab
#
# <device> <mountpoint> <filesystemtype><options> <dump>
<fsckorder>
/dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda7 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
/proc /proc proc defaults
/dev/hda9 none swap sw

The file didn't tab correctly, but you can use tab when you enter yours.
Make sure that the partition numbers correspond to your hard drive
partitions. After saving this file, unmount /mnt/temp.

You should now be able to reboot and have Linux come up properly text only.
You will have to install XFree86 4.0 in order to run X (see the support page
on the YDL site.) Hope this works for you.

Peter

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html