BootX vs yaboot (was Re: I am still having MAJOR problems)

Subject: BootX vs yaboot (was Re: I am still having MAJOR problems)
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 12:46:32 MDT

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Jeff wrote:

> I have used both BootX and yaboot. I really like the BootX method since
> it allows me to reboot my machine directly into Linux or MacOS, depending
> upon how I set it. I don't know of a way to do this with yaboot.

You can mess with open firmware to achieve this. For those of us who don't
like that, you can create a small boot partition with a fake Mac OS System
Folder and switch between OS's with the Startup Disk control panel.

> My problem lies with BootX not working since I upgraded to OS 9.0.4. I am
> running CS 1.2 on a Sawtooth G4 with a 20 gig internal drive running Mac
> OS and an internal SCSI drive running linux. Before I upgraded BootX
> worked fine. I have tried different versions but nothing worked.

That's right. There is no workaround. There seems to be a lot of
confusion about BootX/yaboot, so here it is:

If you have a New World (colored) machine you should use yaboot. You may
be able to get away with BootX with Mac OS < 9.0.4, but if you experience
"weird" booting errors then you know the reason.

To simplify that message (which is important in areas of such confusion),
repeat: "New World = yaboot".

If you have an Old World machine you cannot use yaboot. Luckily, BootX
works just fine. The adventuresome can try miboot, but if you do that
currently it's pretty hard to recover from installing a bad kernel.

-Hollis