Re: Linux Apps on OS X?

Subject: Re: Linux Apps on OS X?
From: Darron Froese (darron@froese.org)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 11:34:54 MDT

on 9/23/00 10:39 AM, Reid Anderson at resander@cs.hamilton.edu wrote:

> I've heard that it is possible to run some Linux apps under Mac OS X. Has
> anyone tried this?

Yes it's possible. If you've got source you can give them a try yourself.

I would be prepared for lots and lots of failures - Mac OS X is a
bastardized child of OpenStep/Various BSD's and the MacOS so things will not
be as easy (usually) as ./configure ; make ; make install.

I haven't tried the beta yet, but MacOS X Server was/is that way - some
things would compile without any problems while others wouldn't at all and
no amount of futzing would get it to work.

> Considering the Unix core of both Linux and OS X, it
> seems doable, any luck out there? And if so, which apps?

Try them and see - I would guess that apps that are written with portability
in mind and work on both Linux and the BSD's should be normally OK with
minor changes to the source/makefiles/etc. You won't know unless you try
though.

> One more question...
> When I download a .tar or .gz or .tar.gz file, how should I unstuff it
> under OS X (Unix) I am really looking for a Unix command to unstaff those
> files since StuffIt Expander hasn't done it correctly yet...

If you've got a .tar.gz or .tgz file:

tar -zxvf filename.tgz

If it's just a .tar file:

tar -xvf filename.tar