Re: Install of 2.0 a failure

Subject: Re: Install of 2.0 a failure
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 12:54:44 MDT

At 11:35 AM -0700 9/3/01, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
>At 6:29 PM -0600 9/2/01, Dan Burcaw wrote:
>>Paul,
>>
>>> I get to the part where the YDL installer tries to format the
>>> partitions and it segfaults. Uh... Terrasoft? Why should this
>>> be the case on a supported machine that YDL 1.1 worked fine on?
>>
>>We tested numerous times on Lombards. I don't imagine you'd
>>be willing to try to reproduce this, but any details about how
>>this occured would be appreciated. The only installer seg faults I've seen
>>involved strange or bad hardware (e.g. a really rare SCSI card) but since
>>this doesn't seem to be the issue on your box, I am curious. See below.
>
>Dan, I've seen this too -- on a PowerBook 2400. I was using the text
>installer if that makes any difference.

Dang it, I left off important details. In my case at least, it got
through the formatting process and crashed. I rebooted and tried
again, this time without formatting anything (on the hope that the
partitions had been formatted correctly). The gambit worked in that
it let me start the install, but after installing all the files the
installer died -- probably a bad file system.

I'm now trying a different approach. I booted using the rescue
image, and used it to mkswapfs and mke2fs my partitions. The 2400 is
chugging through the install as I type this, we'll see if it
succeeds. (And this time I used the X installer rather than the
text.)

P.S. When booted into the rescue image, the reboot / halt / shutdown
commands do not work -- they segfault. Had to 3 finger salute to get
out.

--
Tim Seufert