Re: apache and router issues

Subject: Re: apache and router issues
From: Mike Garabedian (mgarabed@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 18:13:12 MDT

> From: Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca>
> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 19:53:22 -0400 (EDT)
> To: yellowdog general <yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com>
> Subject: Re: apache and router issues
>
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Mike Garabedian wrote:
>> When I (or anyone else) tries to connect to my website using either the
>> dyanmic dns name or my actual WAN IP address, they just time out, and
>> there is no trace of them in my linux access logs.
>>
>> I thought it might be a problem with the port forwarding from my router,
>> but since sendmail works fine receiving mail, then outside requests to
>> port 25 must reach the machine fine.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Is it a virtual server configuration problem? Is it
>> another apache configuration problem?
>

> Can you connect to the linux box via ssh from the outside world?

Actually, I haven't tried, but I opened up ftp and telnet at one point, and
people were able to connect through those ports...

> If so, then it is likely an Apache config problem. If not, then either a
>router problem or a NAT/IPMasq problem.

I thought it might be a NAT problem, but I'm not sure how to diagnose that.
Also, since I can connect locally using the full url, it works fine, so any
reverse lookups that might be happening don't seem to be a problem...Is that
right?

mike