Re: Mandrake 8.0 - PPC (a.k.a. everything I expected from YDL2.0)

Subject: Re: Mandrake 8.0 - PPC (a.k.a. everything I expected from YDL2.0)
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@sirius-beta.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:31:34 MDT

>So I guess this brings up a good question: how can we, as Terra Soft,
>make YDL a best of class distribution knowing that the economics
>of today, and this market in particular, don't allow us to hire many people?
>I'd love to hear feed back on this. Certainly I'd love to see YDL accaimed as
>highly as some of the big dogs (no pun intended).. but all that takes time
>and money. Both of which are limited.

1. Promote the paid support. I used (actually am still) the paid
support. It has been the deal of my computer year and I will rebuy
when the current G4s are supported. I suppose that TSS has a lower
percentage of 'old' linux types who get outraged when everything
isn't freely "supported" and a higher percentage of 'old' Mac users
who value community and don't mind spending a couple bucks.

2. Get that book out. Make it complete.

3. Spend more time on YDL<=>Mac OS X integration (NFS utilities and
how-tos for instance -- good netatalk too), and migration.

4. Put somewhere some meaningful benchmarks and data on the
performance of G3/4 (esp SMP) versus Intel.

5. You can rely on many newbees being guided by RHL documentation. As
a newbee, I can attest that I spent more on RHL books than on
YDL+support and found most of them a waste. So if you could give a
recommended list of books and sites, it may take the burden off for
having to do your own how-tos, and make people happy.

I'm glad you're around.

Best, Ted

--
Ted Goranson