Re: Installation help...

Subject: Re: Installation help...
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 17:19:51 MDT

on 9/7/01 4:56 PM, John Norair at jnorair@Princeton.EDU wrote:

> As Robert implied, the IMS TwinTurbo cards, even the ix3d Ultimate Rez
> that was OEM in some beige g3's, is not very compatible with linux. If
> you build your own kernel, it may work, but almost nothing except
> built-in Apple hardware works with the YDL installer.

Actually - I installed it first on a UMAX S900 with voodoo5 card on it, then
I installed in a 9600 with an 8 meg voodoo2 banshee (Mai-Pi 750) and it saw
that and recognized it - calling it a mai-pi voodoo banshee - which is
correct. Although, until I put the 2.4.x kernel in, it isn't very speedy.

It must be a hold over from i386 code that looks for the S3 chipset.

 Robert Brandtjen
 Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
 Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com
 www.prometheusmedia.com