Re: Telnet to open ports

Subject: Re: Telnet to open ports
From: Robert Vogt IV (robert@arborhost.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 14:27:25 MDT

        Brian,

        I think there's a conceptual issue here. Telnet is pretty close
to plain text over a TCP socket. The protocols you mentioned transfer
everything in plain text. Thus, using the telnet client is equivalent to
a remote box using a 'real' client (i.e. Outlook) connecting to the
service. There is no additional insecurity here, since one could achieve
the same effect with a hacked/modified 'real' client. :) However, there's
really nothing to worry about, since the servers _DO_ check for proper
input and permissions (ie. for relaying, etc).

        Here's a simple test - connect to port 80 with telnet ("telnet
localhost 80") and type:
        GET / http/1.0

        <2 newlines>

        You should get back your index page. Try putting random garbage
in there... you should get an invalid request error. :) The same goes for
POP and SMTP.

                        Sincerely,

                        Robert Vogt IV
                        ArborHost