Re: Champion Server 1.1 -- Necessary Files and Version Info

Subject: Re: Champion Server 1.1 -- Necessary Files and Version Info
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 09:20:36 MDT

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Michael Romano wrote:

> I'm interested in trying out YellowDog on a PowerCenterPro 180. I'm
> relatively new to Macs and very new to Linux on Macs.
> I've got a few questions. All help much appreciated.
>
> I've d/l'ed most of Champion Server 1.1 disk 1
> (/pub/yellowdog/champion-1.1/ppc) *except*:
> -- the misc/src directory just doesn't want to come down.
> The server keeps timing out midway.
> -- symbolic links won't download -- they are just ignored.
>
> So, my questions:
> 1) will not having /misc/src on the CD affect the install?
> 2) will the lack of symlinks cause a problem? I'd imagine so....
> 2a) if so, how can I resolve that?

Don't worry about misc/src, it's just the installer source code.

> 3) What version of RedHat is Champion 1.1 based on? I think I saw a 5.2
> textfile somewhere.

6.0 + updates.

> 3a) If I have that RH version, do I need to d/l all of the files in
> /pub/yellowdog/champion-1.1/ppc ?

Yes, they are not binary compatible.

> 4) Lastly, what can I install on the dist once I get it up and running? Most
> RPMs I've seen are for x86, alpha, and sparc.
> 4a) Is there a Mac Linux software repository.

There a several, ftp.linuxppc.org, ftp.redhat.com has some in the contrib
area, and there are a few others.

> Additional Info:
> -- I'm downloading to/ burning from a Windows PC (my work machine)
> -- I have PPC Linux 4 (came w/ the Mac) and RedHat 5.0, 5.2, and 6.0 for the
> PC (maybe some of these files would help?)
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> mike

Dan

Yellow Dog Linux for Apple G3 and PowerPC
  email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com
  website: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/