Re: How eliminate video artifacts while drawing?

Subject: Re: How eliminate video artifacts while drawing?
From: John L Grantham (jgrantha@hannover.sgh-net.de)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 03:10:29 MDT

Greetings, Dick Benster at ribenster@home.net! On 30.8.99 8:49 am, you
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm running YDL Champion 1.1 with KDE on a standard 1998 beige
>PowerMac
>300Mhz G3 Mini Tower e with 6MB on-board SGRAM video memory.
>I get lots of transient horizontal white lines while doing graphics, for
>instance
>simply dragging a window around, although the picture is correct once
>the dragging
>and drawing is complete. The above system has no such problems when
>running
>MacOS or MacOSX Server.

Oddly enough, I'm having the same problems with a beige G3 MT/266, using
both an Apple Studio Display 17" monitor as well as with a generic 17"
multisync monitor (both via a VGA adapter). This also happens with YDL
1.0, YDL 1.1, LinuxPPC R4.1 and LinuxPPC 1999, in all cases running at
1024x768@24 or higher. So it would seem to be a general problem with the
X server for the ATI card, right?

btw My video performance has improved drastically since I installed YDL
1.1 (I ended up doing a fresh install--the update screwed up some
things). It still isn't quite as fast in the MacOS, but it's pretty good
now--before it was abysmal, despite a lot of fiddling with XF86Config and
so on.

Anyway, hope Dan can pull some more rabbits out of his hat. ;-)

Speaking of ATI, when are we going to see their Linux support? I heard
that they were going to open up their drivers somewhere...

cya

John

John Grantham | Independent Web Designer