Re: G3-No PCMCIA Modem, No adb_buttons powerbook

Subject: Re: G3-No PCMCIA Modem, No adb_buttons powerbook
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 02:55:23 MDT

Hi.

> 1. Buttons (annoying)
> In BootX, my kernel argument is:
>
> video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk:71 ; adb_buttons=103,111
> which are the keycodes for f11 and f12 respectively, Nothing happens when I
> press either. Ever. Whatsoever. I think it must be my syntax, but I haven't
> any idea where to find the correct syntax.

Totally new to the Mac side of things, so I may not know what I am talking about
here. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am way off base. Anyway, here we go...

1. I think you want to pass your kernel arguments with white space delimiters
rather than using a semicolon to separate them.

2. I think you need to use three parameters for the adb_buttons argument.
Specifically something like adb_buttons=1,103,111. That is what is mentioned in the
current CS1.1 documentation and based on a quick browse of the source tree included
with CS1.1 it appears that the first parameter is required in order to initialize
things correctly.

In any case, the three parameter version works on my '99 G3 Series PowerBook.
However, it does not result in fn-F11 and fn-F12 functioning as the second and
third mouse buttons. Instead, I get fn-F11 as the left mouse button and fn-ctrl as
the middle mouse button. This is under XFree/KDE with a generic install from the
Yellow Dog CS1.1 distribution.

Hope this helps.

> 2. PCMCIA Modem (more serious)

Sorry, but no idea here. My modem is internal and I haven't gotten around to
messing with it yet since I am one of those lucky bastards with cable modem ;)

Jim Cole