What is "normal" boot sequence from MacOS selector?

Subject: What is "normal" boot sequence from MacOS selector?
From: John Wheeler (jw@mvmg.de)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 06:21:25 MST

Hello,

I have been having a problem booting an installation of Yellow Dog Linux Champion-1.1. I get the error:

VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

upon booting.

Could someone please explain what the normal boot sequence for linux is on the Mac? I assume that the problem is that some part of the kernel is responsible for bootstrapping the system from the partition given in the BootX application (in my case /dev/sdb5 ), but that this information in not getting through somehow. The installation appears to be o.k., and I have set the BootX settings to point to the disk partition where I installed linux.

I thought that maybe my installation was corrupt, so I installed LinuxDisks to be able to view the linux partitions. The root partition is where is should be, and it seems to have the right files - is there a list of *essential* files at "/"?

I also tried a different Kernel, and various versions of BootX, but this didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is? Are there any alternative boot programs? I'd be very grateful for any information!

Thanks,

John Wheeler.