Re: SUID and ppp..

Subject: Re: SUID and ppp..
From: Andrew B. Arthur (arthur99@global2000.net)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 12:22:02 MST

BondTrails@aol.com wrote:

> Hi YellowDoggers,
>
> I am on my way to the local bookstore to get a Linux book (I'm a newbie) but
> in the meantime can anyone help me from PPP disasters? I tried running KPPP
> and I keep getting this SUID error.

> (I am not logged in as root).

Good. You should only be logged on as root.

> So what exactly is the SUID?

SUID stands for Set User ID to _______. In english, that means to run
the program as another user (such as root) then who started it. Normally
when they don't tell you who to suid to, they mean root.

Having a SUID program on your computer can be a major security risk! (so
you want as few programs to be SUID as possible), however some programs
require to be be SUID root to properly function (such as X Servers, pppd
and some others).

> What settings should be set so I can access the internet?

First off you need to make a few programs SUID root before you can use
them to connect to the internet. They include pppd (ppp
daemon/background app that controls ppp) and kppp (configuration
program). Here is how to do this (stuff after the hash doesn't need to
be typed, since it's ignored):

Open a Terminal Up (such as Konsole, xterm, kvt, etc.).

su # become the root user (it will prompt you for the root password)
chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd #make the PPP Daemon run as root for all users
chmod +s /usr/bin/kppp #make KPPP run as root for all users

Okay, now you can safely start KPPP as an user. KPPP is pretty easy to
use, just remember to make sure your type of dialup is set to PAP (which
most ISPs use for authentication). If you have problems with the system
locking up during dial up or refusing to dialup, check the modem
settings part of KPPP and up the init delay.

Once everything is configured, you can also start your internet
connection from the command line, just type "ifup ppp0" as root to
connect or "ifdown ppp0" as root to disconnect. If you would like for
all users to control this interface, you can set this (any many more
advanced settings like hostname, domain, etc.) using the helpful, well
designed, graphical netcfg tool.

Andrew B. Arthur | arthur99@global2000.net | "-1 F ... Isn't Winter
Great!"