Re: newbie, issue with qmail

Subject: Re: newbie, issue with qmail
From: Paul Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 06:53:09 MST

At 11:31 AM +0200 2/1/00, Ivailo Djilianov wrote:
>Hi all,
>hope someone can help me with this one...
>I installed qmail on my YDL CS 1.1 BWG3/300, following the instructions in
>Life With qmail. Yet when I try to start /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail start, an
>error comes up:
>
>[root@mymachine ivo]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail start
>Starting qmail: svscan.
>[root@mymachine ivo]# env: svscan: No such file or directory
>
>it seems the startup script can't find svscan. Neither can I, btw. Can you
>please tell me what svscan is?

svscan is part of daemontools. You do not need daemontools to run
qmail, but you will need them if you want to use Dave Sill's scripts.
daemontools provides a consistent way to start and stop services, and
protection from a service being unavailable because of a bug in the
OS causing a running daemon to crash. I've been running qmail for
years, and I've never used daemontools to control qmail. (I do use
them to control dnscache.).

>Also, do I need to use the _exact_ same group and user id's for the qmail
>daemons and groups, as the ones pointed in Life With qmail? I checked the
>scripts, and I think there are no direct calls to the IDs

No, you get to choose them, but they must be defined *before* you
actually build qmail.

--
Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com