Re: switching desktop enviornment help...

Subject: Re: switching desktop enviornment help...
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 18:19:17 MST

>I'd say screw them both and use just a window manager like blackbox or
>windowmaker. If you have the right libs you can still run all the apps for
>each desktop environment without the stupid crap such as GNOME and KDE..
>hehe.
>
>Andrew

Totally!

At the risk of starting out an all out Window Manager war, I'm all for
WindowMaker. :-)

It's nice and simple, clean, and the virtual desktop implementation is
fantastic. I have 10 V Desktops bound to Apple-0 to Apple 9, and I have
various apps live in each one. I habitually put the same apps in the same
place each time, eg VD2 -> emacs. VD1 terminal. It means that I can switch
between apps with a couple of keys without having to touch the mouse. And
it doesn't waste screen real estate on having a wierd thing down at the
bottom of my screen. And for me that is a great feature since I commonly
write code, switch to the term to compile, switch to browser for testing
(I'm writing servlets), and so on. I know you can do these things in Gnome
and KDE (at least I think you can), but I just like the simple, no bs
appearance of WM.

You'll have to be really persuasive to get me to give WM up :-) But isn't
that why *nix seperates out the WM from the OS. Gives up the choice. :-)
Now wouldn't it be nice if you could change the window manager in MacOS or
Windows :-D

But to all you people who are just getting started with YDL or any other
linux distro I'd definately suggest you take the time to check out WM. If
you're anything like me you'll like it lots.

I'm still on YDL 1.0 though, so the way I've had my system switch to WM may
be different to 1.1 and 1.2.

Oooh, and like Andrew says getting KDE apps and Gnome apps running is no
problem. I use KFM with windowmaker, (wierd, I admit it), and it works just
fine.

But that's enough of my opinion for what it's worth (not much!), I'll shut
up now!

:-)

Pete

--