Re: XFree86 weridness and Mach64 (Was: What's compiled into the kernels ...)

Subject: Re: XFree86 weridness and Mach64 (Was: What's compiled into the kernels ...)
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 16:15:59 MST

> Additionally, does the PowerBook G3 Lombard have the Rage 64 or
> 128 stuff? Also, I'm currently using the FBDev server:
> shouldn't I be using the Mach64 server? If so, where do I get
> it? (It doesn't seem to be int he YDL RPMs.)

The Lombard has a Rage Pro chip. You can use the FBDev server or Xpmac
(which does come with YDL.. it is the XFree86-Xpmac-* rpm on your cd).

Just install the rpm, and change your /etc/X11/X symlink to point to the
Xpmac binary instead. It should detect that you are on a mach64 and enable
acceleration. If not, you can pass the --mach64 option to the X server.

(it detected Mach64 fine on my Lombard...)

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations and Parallel Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/