Too dark video on AppleVision 1710AV

Subject: Too dark video on AppleVision 1710AV
From: Ken Kling (ken@mail.RATH.PeachNet.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 08:17:19 MST

Here's my setup:

PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro 210
AppleVision 1710AV Display monitor
YDL CS 1.2
BootX 1.2
Mac OS 8.6

The video is bright and fine with Mac OS 8.6 and from the command
line in YDL. As soon as X is launched (with startx), the screen
darkens. Visually it looks like the brightness control is turned
down really low. The screen is bright enough to shutdown X.

I have the monitor set for 1024x768 and thousands of colors in the
Mac OS Monitors and Sound control panel, and I had it that way when I
ran the 1.2 install. In BootX the "No video driver" option is not
checked and the "Force video settings" option is not checked.
Happily, Xconfigurator now recognizes the accelerated video in this
machine (it did not in CS 1.1) and allows me to select this monitor
from a list. I have run Xconfigurator and tried various video modes
and monitor selections, and 1710AV with 832x624 is the only mode that
produces bright (normal) video (color depth doesn't matter). I have
also tried a few different video kernel arguments in BootX.
Unfortunately I can't stand the GUI at 832x624 resolution, and
besides many windows are too large to see all the controls at that
resolution.

Of course, checking "No video driver" and then running Xconfigurator
(which then doesn't see acceleration or present a list of monitors)
brings the video back in bright normal mode. And of course the
display is then *slow* and clunky.

Any suggestions on how I can get accelerated video and not have a
darkened screen at 1024x768?

--
Ken Kling <ken@mail.rath.peachnet.edu>
Technology Support Services