RAID 0.90 tools and Unpatched Kernel?

Subject: RAID 0.90 tools and Unpatched Kernel?
From: Darron Froese (darron@scully.fudgehead.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 23:10:48 MST

I got around to installing ydl-1.2 today and worked on getting my 2 drives
raided together (just for fun really) and had a heck of a time getting it
to work with the 2.2.15 kernel provided on the CD. For whatever reason,
it would crap out and tell me to look at /proc/mdstat or syslog every
time. I couldn't find anything of use - anything at all.

I did notice that the RAID options on the kernel source provided did seem
to be different than the options available in the kernel compile after I
applied the patches available at http://people.redhat.com/mingo/

Once I got those patches and applied them to a virgin 2.2.14 kernel it
worked like a charm (with the 0.90 tools provided on the ydl-1.2 install).

Am I just on crack and had a phantom RAID problem OR did those patches get
left out of the standard kernel that came with ydl-1.2?

Should the 2.2.15 kernel that came with ydl-1.2 work with a software RAID?

I'm mostly just curious, as I got it to work without any problems with
another kernel.

--
Darron
darron@fudgehead.com