Re: Suggestion for YellowDogLinux Bundle

J. Paul Reed (preed@sigkill.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 01:15:08 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Evan Read wrote:

> I figured that porting from one architectural Linux to another would
> be another no-brainer, but apparently Netscape is causing LinuxPPC Inc
> grief so yeah... be sure you are compatible before purchasing is done
> ;)

I will chime in here and say this is Netscape's fault; from what I've
seen, the problem lies in the fact that they're using NSPR (NetScape
Portable Runtime) for some functions, which is what it was intended for,
but...well, I don't think they ever considered running it on PPC.

The comment header for a function that Netscape blows up in reads:
"portable safe sprintf code."

In the words of a PPC dev, "I guess it wasn't so portable, OR so safe..."

However, if you dev the app correctly, you shouldn't have any problems. I
mean, to Netscape's credit, the same code compiles on 22 different Unix
platforms...I just don't think they ever conceived of, or made code for
PPC architecture.

This is, of course "mozilla classic," code that's not being maintained
anymore.

> Lastly stick some bleeding edge stuff on the CD. For goodness sake, get
> Netscape to give you guys a beta of Gecko for Linux (and wave your PPC
> magic)... why the thing is Win32 only I will never know (they are showing
> off an opensource browser to shrouded source customers... sheesh....)

Ummm...you can download what of Gecko is done from mozilla.org; nightly
Win32 and Linux builds are available (not PPC, though).

But the source is open, so us creating nightly PPC mozilla builds could be
kind of...interesting.

Later,
Paul
  J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com || preed@area.com
  Sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here.
                                         --Melvin Udall, As Good as It Gets