Re: Apache Perl Modules

Subject: Re: Apache Perl Modules
From: Patrick Larkin (larkin@enter.net)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 07:11:47 MST

Tom Tarka wrote:

> "Michael W. J. West ph. 302-695-9378" wrote:
>
> > >Hello:
> > >I'm trying desperately to get Apache working with mod_perl and then to
> > >set up the Apache::Roaming module. I've had no luck. If someone has
> > >done this on their install of YDL, let me know.
> > >Patrick
> >
> > I am interested in getting mod_perl running also. If you take this off-line, would you please post a summary to the list?
>
> i've set up mod_perl on my install of YDL, but not the Apache::Roaming module.
> IIRC, all i needed to do was build apache (1.3.9), download the mod_perl dist.,
> build it (and tell it where my apache lived), and it built apache for me. I think I used
> the latest mod_perl (this was 3 weeks ago...). What speciifically are you having
> problems with and/or what errors are you getting?
>
> -t

I did the same I think. I downloaded the latest apache and mod_perl. I did a make and make install on apache and then the
same for mod_perl. I told mod_perl where my source was for apache. (It asks if it should build httpd in apache/src for which
I said YES. Do I have to copy *that* httpd to the location where the apache make install put it or does it do that for you?)
After that, I install the Apache::Roaming module (I do the same thing, make and then make install - the README doesnt say what
to do with the module). Then, I edit httpd.conf as the readme says... I enter this text, with the approporiate paths:

PerlModule Apache::Roaming
  <Location /roaming>
  PerlHandler Apache::Roaming->handler
  PerlTypeHandler Apache::Roaming->handler_type
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Roaming User"
  AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/htdocs/.htusers
  require valid-user
  PerlSetVar BaseDir /usr/local/apache/htdocs/roaming
</Location>

But when I fire up apache, I get the following error:

Syntax error on line 863 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'PerlTypeHandler', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Which is wierd, since its hanging up on the 'PerlTypeHandler' line and not the previous 2. Since its OK with the line
'PerlModule Apache::Roaming', I assume mod_perl is installed and it finds the module.

Patrick