Re: 1.1 upgrade problems

Subject: Re: 1.1 upgrade problems
From: Joe Lannom (minstrel@hagbard.40ad.com)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 09:18:22 MST

> I upgraded CS 1.0 to 1.1 last night, and i can't log in now. according to
> the readme, i need to boot in single user mode and "reset my password."
> fine. how?
>
> i boot into single user mode, but i can't run passwd - it's an 'unknown
> command,' and i don't know where it lives - there's *nothing* in my /usr
> directory, and passwd lives at /usr/bin/passwd on a redhat5/sparc machine i
> use at work.
>
> also, everything is read-only, so i can't delete my passwd or shadow files,
> or edit them.
>
> suggestions? please? i *could* reinstall from scratch, since there's
> nothing of importance on that install, but that would be a pain.

If you're able to boot into single user mode, then you're in as root.
init level 1 still mounts the / partition as rw, so root should be able
to edit those files. If it complains about the file being read only,
use the ":w!" convention to tell vi "write, dammit!".

Just edit the shadow file and remove the information between the first pair
of colons for the user whose password you need to reset. Then do an init 5
(or reboot if you're so inclined, but that wastes time) and you'll be able
to login in without a password.

However, now that I think about it, I think I read somewhere in the YDL docs
that a re-install would be better than an ugrade 'cause there's some sort
of problems that can occur... there was no explanation of the sorts of
problems.

joe