Re: another newbie question

Subject: Re: another newbie question
From: Ana Cruz and Joe DiCastro (anacruz@ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 22:28:14 MST

on 11/11/99 11:36 PM, Evan Read at eread@netaccess.co.nz wrote:

> Sounds like you need to set the UID bit. This will allow kppp to run as
> root (which it has to) even when launched by a user.
>
> If you want to use the KDE interface, go into /usr/bin and right mouse click
> (or hit keypad "=" key) on kppp and find "Permissions" in the box that comes
> up.
>
> Tick the Set UID box. Also make sure that kppp is executable to owner,
> group AND others.
>
> on 12/11/99 12:26, Joseph Clark at josephcl@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> So, after taking all the advice I got the other day, I
>> did successfully get my YDL-powerd IMac to dial into
>> my ISP via ppp.
>>
>> However, it only works from my root account, not from
>> my standard user account. I'm using KDE and kppp to
>> dial in, and when I open it as a mere user, it says
>> somethign about pppd not being installed. Which it is.
>> Also, the configuration for my ISP that I created as
>> root is not available to me as a user, so I had to
>> re-enter information. My question is: Is there an easy
>> way to make my "preferences" that I set up as root
>> available to some or all users? And why would pppd be
>> available to root but not to a user. Thanks for any
>> help you can offer.
>>
>> I promise, months from now I will come back and give
>> advice to NEW newbies. I swear.
>>
>> thanks,
>> -joe

Evan,

Don't worry about it. It's happened to a bunch of us. Make sure you reboot
the whole system(CNTL+CMD+POWER) after the partition table fails to write.
After you're loaded up again in MacOS, jump over to Linux again and just
verify that the partition table was written as you chose. You should then be
able to finish your install.

I spent all day trying to get YDL to install on my 8600 because I was
getting the same error. As long as you fully reboot after the partition map
fails to write you should be all set.

Joe