Newbie woes

Subject: Newbie woes
From: Frank Stengel (fstengel@nordnet.fr)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 15:03:05 MDT

I just installed CS1.1 on my PowerMac 6400 and I am experiencing a few
problems. I am certain they are due to my total lack of knowledge of cerain
key areas. Anyway, here we are:

-- I can't access to my internal modem. I tried /dev/cua0 or /dev/cua1
using minicom, or even KPPP, and the results are that /dev/cua0 does not
respond and /dev/cua1 answers gibberish, which seems consistent with the
fact that at startup the kernel claims that serial port 1 is the printer
port, where I have hooked my printer. I also tried /dev/ttyS0 with the same
result. Is there something that needs to be done in order that linux sees
the internal modem? I know that MacOS need a specific extension to see the
6400's internal modem.

-- How do I go to use my laser printer which is connected to my computer
using a localtalk network through the printer port. atalkd complains by
saying it can't find any interfaces, and further than that, I'm lost. How
do I go?

Any help or pointers are welcome.

Frank STENGEL (fstengel@nordnet.fr)