Sound - getting it working 100%

Subject: Sound - getting it working 100%
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 03:17:09 MDT

Hi all,

I am trying to get sound working 100% on my bronze Powerbook G3. I have
installed the v2.2.12 Lombard kernels, and they work like a charm with
accelerated video, and sound.

But... the sound doesn't work properly.

If I run the E sound daemon (esd), the startup tones and all subsequent
samples that are played get played as a hiss. I think that byte ordering
may be involved, as switching to 8 bit samples works fine. Is this an
esd error or a sound driver error?

The next problem is the mixer - I have tried both the Gnome mixer and
xmixer, and neither of them work properly. I think the sliders were
wired up incorrectly, as the builtin microphone seemed to be controlled
by the line-in slider, and I couldn't get the line-in (external mic) to
work at all.

Is there a Howto anywhere that describes the complete ritual for setting
up sound to both record and playback properly?

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street