Re: G3 PB video acceleration

Subject: Re: G3 PB video acceleration
From: Aaron Levitt (aaron@ultimatewisdom.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 10:44:10 MDT

[snip]
Which PowerBook are you working with? If it is one of the new ones, my
understanding is that you either need to revert to the Xpmac server or upgrade
your kernel to 2.2.12. You might want to take a look at...

I am using a G3/300 powerbook with the family number M4753, which I believe
is a Wallstreet II. I thought maybe I got ripped off and I dont have the
right video card, but according to my apple system profiler, it is an
ATY,RageLTPro.

I have looked at various web pages and talked with different people.. and I
have tried the following kernel arguements:
video=atyfb:vmode=14:cmode=32 adb_buttons=xx,yy hda=autotune
video=atyfb:vmode=14:cmode=32,mclk:71 adb_buttons=xx,yy
video=atyfb:vmode=14:cmode=32,mclk:{65-70} adb_buttons=xx.yy
video=atyfb

I have also tried a few other combinations all of which seem to have pretty
much the same effect; I get the funky colors and/or split screen when I
include these arguments and uncheck 'no video driver'.

Being the impatient person I am. I got too anxious waiting for answers
from the list, so I upgraded to kernel 2.2.10 and also tried switching to
Xpmac. I installed the newest XFree86-Xmpac rpm I could find, changed the
links, and everything seemed fine. But when I started X all i got was a
black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner and I had to
kill X. Not sure if these 2 problems are related somehow.. but the
suggestion department is still open =).

-Aaron