Re: Running PostGreSQL

Subject: Re: Running PostGreSQL
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 20:19:23 MDT

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
>I'm planning to run PostGreSQL through PHP/Apache. Has anybody had any
>good/bad/indifferent experience running this under YDL?

 We've had fantastic experience with YDL/Apache/PHP/PostgreSQL. We are
currently putting our entire course outline on the web for the first time
and at first the thought of doing this seemed pretty daunting.
PHP/Postgres is a really great combo though, and our development time has
been faster than expected.

 At the moment, we have a G4 as a dedicated PosgreSQL server. It is a
500DP, so we are really looking forward to a stable 2.4.X kernel (that
extra CPU would be nice to actually *use* ;-).

 After our course calendar is online (should be live this summer) we will
be developing personalized content for our students (that dreaded 'P'
word). Again, since our current work with PostgreSQL has gone so well, we
have decided to stick with it for this as well (rather than Oracle, which
the rest of the university is using). Not sure if a G4 will be able to
handle this though, so we might have to upgrade the hardware. Maybe Apple
will have a 1GHz DP machine by then? It is kinda scary because we have no
way to guage what kind of load this machine (the G4) will be able to take.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada