Re: Long waits for telnet connections

Subject: Re: Long waits for telnet connections
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 10:04:25 MST

Gawain Reifsnyder wrote:

> I've got our G4 YDL box configured with two IP addresses, one for our
> internal LAN and the other for the internet. Obviously, it's much
> faster to work on the server by connecting locally, but it often
> takes a looong time to connect either via telnet or ftp. I've
> configured proFTPD to not do dns looks as specified to speed things
> up, but both services still crawl on connects.
>
> Once the connection is established, everything is blazing fast.
>
> Any theories?

Long pauses are almost always reverse DNS lookups that are failing and
timing out.

When your internal machine connects to the ftp server, the ftp server
does a reverse lookup of your client IP address for logging. If reverse
DNS is not configured correctly for your internal network this DNS query
can timeout and eventually fail, holding up ftp and other connections.

The quick fix is to specify an entry in your /etc/hosts file for all
your internal hosts, but a better way is to configure proper DNS names
and reverse mappings in your dns server for these client hosts.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street