Re: High memory ?

Subject: Re: High memory ?
From: Adam (adamhadm@frontiernet.net)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 09:47:07 MST

On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 11:24, Christopher Murtagh wrote:

     If I want to build a kernel that will run on a machine with 1 GB of RAM,
    do I need to enable the High Memory config option or is this something
    different? I'm only asking because it's labled as experimental, so if I
    don't need it, I'd rather not. Anyone else have a kernel running on more
    than 768 MB of RAM that wasn't compiled with the High Memory option?

I ran the standard 2.4.10 kernel with 1G of memory with my G3 just fine
from the install of yd 2.1. since then I have compiled the kernel for
other things but it does work with my G3. My G4 with 1.5G ram and (2)
21" monitors is a bit different. It seams not to like the 128 rage AGB
Card and the 128 Nexus cards. I have not messed around to see if the
dificultiy were the video cards or the 1.5g of ram. On that machine I
really want the dual boot for OS X and 9.1 for my Digital Imaging. I
have heard it is wise to compile the kernel with high memory though...

-Adam