Re: partitions/mount points for 2.1 install

Subject: Re: partitions/mount points for 2.1 install
From: Andy Hocker (hocker@fnal.gov)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 09:34:41 MST

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Gordon Neault wrote:

> I would create the root partition earlier in the partition map than
> swap. The bootloader should be earlier still.

Believe me, I tried every possible permutation.

> You can change the mountpoints yourself by highlighting the partition
> and editting it after formatting. YDL wants to make the first available
> Linux partition root, so I assume that is why it named the mountpoint as
> it did.

Sure, I can change the mount points, but it still wants to
call the bootloader partition "ext2" instead of "hfs."

A little more digging through the archives yielded this
tidbit of information from Hollis
(http://lists.yellowdoglinux.com/yellowdog-devel/July01/0005.html):

>> 3) The custom install will not correctly format the bootloader partition.
>> The partion must have been unallocated? or hfs? in its previous existence.
>
> I was bitten by a similar problem... the installer formats (mkofboot's) the
> first boot partition only. If you still have old ones (or worse, partitions
> unintentionally marked as 'boot' partitions), that will mess things up.

Okayyyy.... so what do I need to do to install YDL 2.1?

Cheers,
Andy

Andy Hocker office: CDF trailer 168-O
University of Rochester phone: (630)-840-8622
Fermilab/CDF - M.S. 318 fax: (630)-840-2968
PO Box 500 e: hocker@fnal.gov
Batavia, IL 60510 hey ho: let's go