Re: Switching from BootX to yaboot

Subject: Re: Switching from BootX to yaboot
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 22:07:27 MST

[judicious snippage]

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Paul J. Lucas wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Hollis R Blanchard wrote:
>
> > > I played with this stuff briefly and I found that I couldn't get
> > > Open Firmware to recognize yaboot as something it can run unless
> > > I used the hfsutils and set the proper type/creator to make it
> > > appear as a MacOS ROM file.
> >
> > That's not correct; the installation guide describes exactly how to install
> > and use yaboot without performing these steps.
>
> Well, it simply didn't work on my Lombard until I did what I
> said even though I followed all the other directions.

A while back (on the 1.2 CD) the Installation Manual was in error with regard
to booting. This was discovered (by TSS), the proper outrage expressed, and
the problem resolved. The updated manual is available online, and was put on
the 1.2.1 CD.

> Did you actually try to install yaboot as is described in the
> YDL instructions specifically on a Lombard Powerbook? I'm sure
> the instructions as documented work fine on newr machines like
> Pismos and iMacs.

The Lombards will work with the current directions.

> > Most users just want a booting solution that works. We would be doing the
> > majority of our custormers and users a great disservice by running around
> > trying to document every possible boot solution to satisfy a few.
>
> Three (BootX, yaboot, System Disk) aren't very many.

But it's a slipperly slope. BootX, yaboot, System Disk and nvsetenv, the ROM
OS-chooser, ybin, quik, miboot... We've chosen 2 that work in all cases.

> > I'm not personally offended
>
> It wasn't meant to be offensive. It was meant to be
> constructive criticism.

I do appreciate the criticism.

Btw, if you (or anyone else) does ever write up a description of how to use
System Disk (or quik, miboot, etc) then by all means let me know...

-Hollis