Re: Apache on YDL question

Subject: Re: Apache on YDL question
From: Ken Schweigert (ken@byte-productions.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 08:44:44 MST

Trevor,

Another option would be to put a .htaccess file in your dev directory and
require a password to view contents. You use htpasswd to create the
password file and .htaccess to control access to it's directory.

Switch to your apache root directory and create a new file and user:
  [root@byte-8 apache]# ./bin/htpasswd -c conf/.htpasswd someuser

This will create a file .htpasswd in the same directory as your httpd.conf
file. You can create this file anywhere, but for me, it's logical to put
it with all my other config files.

Next use vi to create the file .htaccess in the root of your dev directory:
  [root@byte-8 dev]# pwd
  /usr/local/apache/htdocs/dev
  [root@byte-8 dev]# vi .htaccess

And add something like this to it:
  AuthName "Gris Gris Designs Developers Only!"
  AuthType Basic
  AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/.htpasswd
  require user someuser

Change the AuthName to whatever you'd like to show in the password prompt
"dialog box."

Assuming your httpd.conf file has "AccessFileName .htaccess" somewhere in
it, the next request for this directory will prompt for the password you
set when you created the user.

Hope this helps.

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 03:57:39PM -0700, Trevor J. Mahan wrote: > Hi all > > Well, my dual 7600 project is coming along quite nicely. I've set up > Apache for the first time to run a small webserver here at my business. > I'm fairly new to this, and I have a question about robots.txt or its > equivalent. > > How do I use robots.txt keeps the spiders out of a site? I have > development files up that I don't want > indexed or seen just yet. I'ts a trickly URL that you couldn't find by > accident, probably, but I don't want it indexed for another few weeks > yet. > > Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. > > Thanks:) > > Trevor J. Mahan > Gris Gris Designs > >