Re: Sound on PBG3 FireWire w/ YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Sound on PBG3 FireWire w/ YDL 2.1
From: Neill Miller (neillm@thecodefactory.org)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 15:16:51 MST

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:50:30 -0000
"Dan Cook" <inundata@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your valuable advice. MP3s now play perfectly well
> on my Pismo now (yay!!). Just for the record:

No problem. Glad it helped!

> 1) Both the KDE and GNOME options said that they would load the arTS
> sound thingy on startup. Is it still necessary to have that on? And is

No, that shouldn't be necessary. I've never used it anyway.

> there any way to have the system load OSS on bootup instead of esd, and not
> have to do the whole lsmod rmmod modprobe dance on every bootup? I've heard
> something about adding stuff into a folder called /etc/rc...

I have a kernel compilation guide here:
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm/yellowdog.php3#kernel-2-4

What you may want to do is compile OSS drivers into the kernel (and thus remove the need for loading/unloading the modules). Make sure these lines are present in your /usr/src/linux/.config file (which is generated by make xconfig or make menuconfig, etc after you pick all of your other options):

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_DMASOUND_PMAC=y
CONFIG_DMASOUND=y
<snip>
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=y
<snip>
CONFIG_SOUND_DMAP=y
<snip>
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=y

Or you could just add the modprobe command to load the module at the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file (like you mentioned). ;-)

> 2) Is there any way I can modify the CD Player to also play music using
> OSS, or is there a CD player embedded in XMMS that I'm not aware of? (BTW,
> XMMS beats the stuffing outof Sonique or iTunes).
> 3) And finally, is there any way to enable the volume up/down buttons on
> the Pismo? I've seen a couple of posts on this in the archives, but I don't
> know how to use them.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to either of these questions. I'm sure others here do though! I've heard varied reports about the XMMS CD player plugin, though I've never tried it.

Also, the sound support should not be a "1-program fix" (as you referred to it as in one of your other posts). Anything using /dev/dsp (AFAIK) should have sound through the loaded dmasound_pmac module. This includes many apps by default like Xine/VLC for movies, Mac-on-Linux, etc. You should also be able to do 'cat WAVFILE > /dev/dsp' (although there will likely be endianess issues making it sound like static noise instead of the actual wavfile). If this is not the case, let me know. The only reason I suggested OSS is because I've had better luck and performance with it on my Pismo than esd. However, esd is also capable of making noise on my machine.

-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm