YDL 2.1 Install on an iBook 14-inch

Subject: YDL 2.1 Install on an iBook 14-inch
ergc0903@optonlne.net
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 19:55:08 MST

All:

Running into problems getting YDL 2.1 (or any PPC distribution in fact) on
the new iBooks with the 14 " screen (600 MHz, 640 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128,
CD-RW Sony Optical Drive at least that's what the kernel tells me)... Main
problem on all the installs is the installers can't seem to see the ide
drive... Here's the relevant info:

- Downloaded YDL 2.1 iso image from mirror
- Burned CD w/Disk Copier in OS X
- CD boots up fine, but gives "No CDROM found" error when selecting install
media... (And I strongly suspect the HD isn't detected either, since when I
try to partition, it sees nothing)

the 2.4 kernel installs are a total loss - it detects the IDE, but doesn't
seem to indicate anything on it...
tried install-text-kernel22, and better luck, the CD-ROM and HD's are
detected by the kernel (hdb and hda, respectively), but the installer can't
seem to see it..
- switched to the 2nd virtual counsel (Fuji install prompt)
        - saw the tip about doing the echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media
trick, but there isn't even a cdrom device in the directory tree...
        - checked the /dev tree, no hdxx things whatsoever...
        - tried to makedevs b /dev/hdb s 3 0 0 16 s (not sure this was the exact
syntax, but block device, major number 3, minor 0, etc...)
        - mounted this device, but when I looked at /mnt/media, just saw a desktop
and trash folder...
- at the boot prompt, tried install-text-22 hdb=cdrom to force detection,
got a kernel panic...

I'm all out of ideas... Anyone have any sucess with the new iBooks?
Thanks...

Ed