Re: How to (Sendmail)

Subject: Re: How to (Sendmail)
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 22:55:10 MST

On Thursday 21 February 2002 03:41 pm, Shawn Dunn wrote:
> Con's:
> - Bad track record with security (holes, slack defaults)

The holes are fixed as fast as they become apparent - it is always up to the
admin to adjust his software accordingly.

> - Damn near incomprehensible configuration syntax
m4 isn't that bad, pretty simple once you get the hang of it - YDL comes with
a typical server style .cf file - forget where it is hidden, but it is there
- do a "locate"

> - Obfuscated code base
Well - can't really argue that one.

> - Many critics claim it doesn't scale too well and is hard to manage
It ran the net's mail for years - some ISPs move millions of pieces a day
with it with out difficulty.

No> - Beefy in terms of processor requirements
none that I can see - 200 emails/hour on a PM 7600/250 barley uses 2% of cpu
usage - and thats using OLD style MacOSXS 1.2

Rob