RE: an alarming message

Subject: RE: an alarming message
From: Steve McGrane (steve@globaltap.com)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 05:56:52 MST

Darrin is right, out of the box, almost all (hoping) Linux servers are very
vulnerable. There are several ways to close this down, and "linuxconf" is
probably the easiest way.

Look for "Control Service Activity" and you will get a good idea of what
services are running and what aren't. You can turn off most of the services
that start with an "r" as well as portmap and nfsd if you aren't sharing
files through nfs.

A good document for further research is:
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/linux.html

- Steve
Co-Location and Dedicated Hosting starting at $125/mo
http://www.globaltap.com