Re: Ethernet pain

Subject: Re: Ethernet pain
From: Elliott (kilowatt@cinci.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 16:53:00 MST

Ok. First off, I would like to thank all the helpfull people on this
list. I couldn't do this alone.
Seccond off, I haven't exactly done it yet. Let me recap a bit, and tell
y'all about the recent developments.

On booting ydl, eth0 and eth1 are defined for me as to which interface
is which hardware device. Fine, except what it picks for eth0 is the
on-board ethernet that doesn't work. eth1 is an ethernet card (tulip
driver). ifup eth1 doesn't do anyting ( here's what I get: "usage: ifup
<device name>") as if its not even recognized as a valid device, even
though its listed in /etc/conf.modules plain as day.

Linuxconf is not working to my knowledge - I set up the card in
linuxconf as eth1 (figuring that setting it otherwies wouldn't be a good
idea due to the fact that the kernel decides ahead of time on boot up
who is who), and when I activate the changes on quit, it gives me errors
about not being able to start the network. Thats expected, but I guess
it doesn't write the configuration files either, because if I go back
into linuxconf, everything is either blank or default. So, I would like
to know everything that linuxconf modifies, or should modify for a
network hardware setup.

Anyway, ifup eth1 doesn't work, as allready stated. However, ifconfig
eth1 up does do something a little different. Well, when I type ifconfig
eth1 192.168.1.108 or whatever, that is. After typing that, everything
seems to go allright, at first, anyway. ifconfig eth1 lists the ethernet
card with its hardware address as well as an ip address. But I get these
messages which soon fill up the screen "network format not
supported..... using 100mbts/sec data rate...." or someting like that.
(I can't exactly paste the message into the email.....) Basically, I
think the card can opperate at either 10baseT or 100baseT. Well, my
entire network (hub, router, etc) is 10baseT (can't afford a switch...).
So, I thought I would tell the card to operate at 10baseT. The man page
for ifconfig isn't as good as I would like it to be under the "media
type" heading. But anyway, typing ifconfig eth1 up 192.168.1.108 media
10baseT doesn't work. I get some sort of "invalid instruction" message.
The command goes in fine. (it might have been "ifconfig eth1 up
192.168.1.108 type 10baseT" I can't remember). I just get some wierd
message basically saying that my card doesn't support that kind of
instruction.

I thought I would go for a different approach now. So I tried fooling
around with pump. There isn't a /etc/pump.conf file on my system, or any
of the other red hat systems on my network using dhcp protocall. So I
didn't know how to format that, so I just didn't do one. running pump -i
eth1 doesn't work. I think it just hung there until I hit ctrl-c for a
command prompt.

Well, I was pretty upset after all that. So I went arround ripping out
ethernet cards from other computers (a 3com590, and a 3com 3c905
[couldn't find drivers for this one]). None of the cards I poped in my
rev. A G3 worked. Infact, the kernel only detected the bulit in ethernet
on boot up. running a lspci turned up the card (3 com network interface
or somthing, it said). But I guess that's not descriptive enough or
something.

Placing the origional ethernet card back into the macintosh was really
upsetting - the card wouldn't work from mac os9.0.4. Ouch! Infacti, the
tcp/ip control panel listed my ip as 169.128.32.53 or something (thats
the misterious mac os phantom dhcp server, so I hear). And, upon looking
at my hub, I discovered that the "activity" light over the ethernet port
of this computer was blinking kinda like when you ping -f a host (ping
flood). The collision light was rather frequent, as well as the
partition on the adjcent hub when I messed arround plugging the cord
into other hubs and such. I'm guessing that linux got the card stuck in
100baseT mode or something. I rebooted several times (no effect) and
even removed the card for 10 minutes and placed it back (turned off the
computer for this, of course). Still stuck in 100baseT mode, I think. I
turned off the computer in discuss. The next day, I went out and bought
another ethernet card. Its an Macsense fast ethernet adapter FE-511. Its
got an intel chipset. I looked into buying a single speed 10baseT card,
but I couldn't recognize any of the chip sets (I was limited to cards
that were pci as well as mac os 9 compatable, so I didn't have much to
choose from). Anyway, I got home, and the existing ethernet card worked
in mac os 9. Still no ethernet in ydl. I'm going to try the macsense
card tonight and see if the yellow dog likes it. I hope it does.

Any help would be great - I'm stuck. But I do think that the tulip card
is recognized and that if I can just configure it right it will work.
Well, I hope so, anyway. Thanks!

PS: I got the newest X release for ppc, and its great!