Re: RTFM Resources Wanted & networking

Subject: Re: RTFM Resources Wanted & networking
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@sirius-beta.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 19:12:41 MDT

At 3:29 PM -0700 7/1/01, perry wrote:
>Just a reminder: you aren't going to be able to make changes to your
>network configurations as a "user"--you must be in root mode or at the
>"super user" prompt in order to make those sorts of changes. Log in as
>Root. So if you don't have access suddenly to Network Configuration
>panels from within KDE or other GUIs, that is, perhaps, why?

Thank you.

>How complex is your network? Your router, if you have one, might have a
>"gateway" address, typically, of 192.168.1.1. Netmask, typically
>255.255.255.0. And then you need to provide some DNS or name server
>addresses usually provided by your ISP. The individual IP addresses on
>your LAN might be, typically, 192.168.1.2 for the first machine, and for
>the next, 192.168.1.3, and so on.

My setup is wondrously simple. Ethernet which can use a DCHP server
at 192.168.1.1 or take a fixed address (I would use 192.168.1.130 to
make it easy to ftp to). Problem is I haven't a clue where to enter
this info.

>I MUST CORRECT what I said earlier:
>any program you have installed has documentation from KDE HELP in
>file:/usr/share/doc/ ...(not usr/docs). As I said, click on the life
>preserver ICON--From the KDE Help window, .you will need to TRUNCATE the
>address so that it ends with ....doc/ and hit Return. You will see that
>you have MANY manuals at your disposal.

This is great info. Many thanks. Wonder why it is hidden so? --
Certainly culture shock for a Mac fellow. However, the two apps I
suspect are relevant are LISa and network configurator (netconfig?).
These don't seem to be among the apps documented in this trove.

Many thanks for the attention.

Best, Ted

--
Ted Goranson