Re: Booting Mac as a server...

Subject: Re: Booting Mac as a server...
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 09:13:39 MDT

Hey,

  I can also confirm that a grey G3 can be booted into MacOS or Linux
without a monitor connected. What I have seen is that if the machine is
not started with a connected monitor, you cannot LATER add a monitor
without restarting the machine. But you can still access the machine over
a network without a monitor. Also, if you are using MacOS and Timbuktu (a
remote control program), you must initially have something in the monitor
port (at startup) to remotely control the machine. This does NOT have to
be monitor, and could even be a VGA->Mac monitor adapter. Apparently MacOS
does not set up a display (in whatever form that comes) which Timbuktu
requires.

Mike