Re: G4 as a server

Subject: Re: G4 as a server
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 23:27:00 MDT

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Helena van den Akker wrote:
>My question is if I can expect any problems with the G4, if people on
>this list have any experiences with running YDL Champion Server 1.2. on
>a G4 in a business environment, I would like to hear their experiences.
>
>Thanks in advance for your feedback.

 We have Yellowdog linux running on a couple of G4s here at McGill. At the
moment, they are our pre-production web server (to test out pages before
the go live) and a file server/workstation. They are running very well,
and it looks like we will be retiring our older Solaris machine for a
bunch of G4s and BlackLab Linux as the university's main web server (we
are still working out the configuration).

 So far, the performance is excellent, and the hardware/software is very
stable. I must admit, that I have more experience with Linux on Intel
machines, and I found the install procedure and Open Firmware a bit odd,
but once you get through it, it goes quite well.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Programmer / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada