Re: Cheap ATA Cards?

Subject: Re: Cheap ATA Cards?
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 17:31:44 MDT

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Iain Stevenson wrote:

> I took a chance on installing an ATA controller in my system to run a 30Gb
> drive and it works. My system boots from a SCSI drive.
>
> I bought an interface card that is designed for MacOS and noted the driver
> chip number. I then rebuilt the kernel with support for that chip compiled
> in and rebooted. That was all there was to it.

Would you like to share the manufacturer, model, and kernel version you used?
:)

Also, if it's truly "designed for MacOS" then you (plural) will be able to
boot from it, since it will have an Open Firmware ROM on it. If you buy a PC
model, you won't be able to boot from it but you should be able to use it, as
the original author suspected.

-Hollis