Re: Stuck booting into 640x4xx Res. on a 21" Monitor

Subject: Re: Stuck booting into 640x4xx Res. on a 21" Monitor
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 18:19:58 MDT

> Any suggestions...

I had a similar problem with my 17" Studio Display.

Here's what I did:

All Credit and Kudos for this procedure go to Dan Burcaw of Terraplex!

o Found the Technical Spec for the monitor to find out what resolutions and
refresh rates the monitor is capable of.
o Used /sbin/fbset to set the screen resolution and bit depth in console
mode. For each of the screen resolutions listed above I tried bit depth
values of 8, 16, 24 and 32.
o For each set of parameters to fbset, I
    o Used /usr/X11R6/bin/Xautoconfig4 to create an /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
file to try out
    o Used startx -- :1 #to start X and view the result. that's two
hypens preceeded and followed by a space, a colon and a 1.

This very quickly yielded an acceptable display in both X and Console.

If you're in X and want to switch to console, this Mine says
64 by 480 pixels at up to 85 Hztesting can be done while X is running. Just
press ctrl-alt-f1 to get a console window. Do the fbset, Xautoconfig4 and
startx in the console. If you try it under X you'll just screw up your X
session.

To get back to your X session ctrl-alt-f7. This session will be unaffected
by the testing you're doing at the console. Also notice that the second X
you're starting with startx will be logged in as root.

Apple's specification for the 17" Studio Display says:

640 by 480 pixels at up to 85 Hz
800 by 600 pixels at up to 85 Hz
832 by 624 pixels at up to 75 Hz
1024 by 768 pixels at up to 85 Hz
1152 by 870 pixels at up to 75 Hz
1280 by 1024 pixels at up to 75 Hz
1600 by 1200 pixels at up to 60 Hz

Your milage will definitely vary. Different monitors have different
capabilities for resolution and refresh rates.