Re: Partition's Data Region doesn't occupy the entire partition ?

Subject: Re: Partition's Data Region doesn't occupy the entire partition ?
From: Hollis (hollis-lists@austin.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 09:29:42 MDT

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 07:53, Chris & Lockey Krieger wrote:

> I'm trying to do a YDL 2.0 install onto a Power Computing PowerCurve with a
> Newer G3/300, 64 MB, Quatum Viking 4.2 GB SCSI drive on internal SCSI,
> UltraTek-66 ATA controller with Toshiba DVD/CDRW on it.
>
> I'm trying to install onto a partition on the scsi drive, which also has my
> MacOS install (9.1/HFS+)
> All goes well until I get to the "edit partitions" step in the install. At
> this point, I get:
>
> Error: The partition's data region doesn't occupy the entire partition.

Here's the actual error. A similar error (if not this exact one; I forget
exactly) has been seen on disks into which Mac OS X has been installed
beforehand. However, both of your machines are old enough so that I suspect
you did not attempt this.

> error: Bug: Assertion (dev->open_count > 0 at device.c:822 in function
> ped_device_close() failed.
>
> File /usr/lib/yi/parteditor.py line 119 in Main dev.close() # clean up

This is an mistake in handling the real error and should be ignored. We are
attempting to close a device which was never opened (due to the above error).

On Tuesday 19 June 2001, Rick Sheridan wrote:

> I have run into exactly the same problem! Last night I completely
> re-formatted my drive(s). I tried Apples 'Drive Setup', FWB's 'HD Toolkit',
> and finally 'Silverlining'. I have 2 SCSI drives and 1 IDE/ATAPI drive.
> Same results. I have tried formatting the intended Linux drive or partition
> (tried both methods) as 'Free', and I have tried partitioning with 'Pdisk'
> and 'LinuxPPC 2000Q4' installer. YDL 1.2 and LinuxPPC 2000Q4 have no
> problem installing.

GNU parted (the disk partitioning software we use in the installer) is a bit
picky about disks being in a good state before working with them. This is
generally good, because it won't compound any existing problems.

I'm not sure why all the reformatting Rick did was ineffective, unless the
tools he used only reformatted and didn't change the partition map.

You may be able to use pdisk on the rescue ramdisk (boot from the Tasty
Morsels CD) to delete your partition map entirely, then create a new one
using 'parted /dev/sda mklabel mac'.

(Aside: unfortunately the rescue ramdisk is missing SCSI device entries.
Before the above command will work, you must first 'mknod /dev/sda b 8 0' to
create the /dev/sda special file.)

For the record, the version of parted used in the installer is 1.4.12.

-Hollis